If you’ve been following me since the [very] beginning of my blogging journey, you probably remember me mentioning that I struggled with an eating disorder in high school. I always was a slightly overweight growing up, even though I worked out 4-5 times a week playing soccer whether it were club or high school. I finally had enough my junior year, limited my calorie intake to under 200 per day, and dropped 45 pounds within 8 weeks. Obviously, that was SO unrealistic to maintain and was extremely unhealthy! Looking back, I don’t even know how I had energy to get through the day! Luckily, I started feeding my body foods that would HELP my body instead of things that would hurt my body, or deprive it all together. I wanted to share a few steps I’ve learned to becoming an overall healthier you!
1. Werk, Werk, Werk, Werk, Werk: Okay, all I can imagine every time that song plays is the little baby pig shaking it’s butt, haha! I could watch that video for days. Hilarious! But seriously, just get out and move! Whether it’s taking an hour to go to the gym, walk your dog, and go dancing – reserving a small portion of your day to get a little exercise in will make all the difference in not only your body, but also your mood!
2. Drop the Oreo’s, Have a Banana: Y’all…I struggle with this one. As an Oreo addict (well, all sweets, let’s be honest), it’s not always easy to say “no.” Try stocking your home with fruit, and ridding it of all of the tempting processed and sugary foods! Not only is fruit good for you, but it also helps fill that sugar craving!
3. Switch to Spray: This is one I’ve really, really committed to this year. I was basically addicted to tanning beds for the past 6 years. It started as a “it’s just for prom” tan when I went to my first prom at 15 years old. I quickly became obsessed with the color it gave me and it then turned into a 20 minutes, 4 times a week ordeal. After my dad got skin cancer last year and I noticed my skin looking older and more wrinkly, I broke up with tanning beds. I think spray tans in the salon are absolutely outrageous, so I’ve been using this self-tanner for an at home spray tan for the past few months and I absolutely love it! I know my skin will thank me for the switch later down the road, too!
4. Put Down the Alcohol, Girlfriend: Okay, maaaaaybe not completely. Try limiting your alcohol intake to one day a week. Dylan always gets Thursdays and Sundays off, so usually I choose one of those days to spend time with him and friends having a few drinks. You’ll also feel a million times better if you limit yourself to one drinking day per week! It also helps to look at the drink itself. I typically stick to Sprite Zero/Crown, low cal/sugar wines, mimosas, and Michelob to name a few good less-awful-for-you options! Haha! Sometimes you just gotta settle for the lesser of two evils, am I right?!
5. A Gallon a Day, Keeps the Fat Away: Drinking lots of water is a major key (still can’t get over DJ Khaled, haha!) to losing and maintaining a healthy weight. Not only does your body NEED it, but it also boosts your metabolism! One thing I’ve gotten really good about is eliminating almost all drinks except for water (and alcohol, ha) from my diet! Drinking calories is probably the worst idea ever in my book. No thanks. I would rather eat my calories! If you’re really dying for a sweet drink, go for a healthy smoothie! I am hooked on strawberry banana smoothies (which I consider more food than drink). Just blend together ice, water, a banana, and one serving container of Light & Fit Strawberry Banana yogurt – SO GOOD!
On another note, how stinkin’ cute is this marble workout set?! I’ve gotten really into buying cute workout gear lately, because let’s be honest…working out is just more fun when you can wear cute workout outfits! True Adorn Boutique has basically the cutest athletic wear EVER. It really holds you in and is super comfy! It does run a little smaller than the usual athletic wear I buy. I typically wear an XS or small, but could’ve definitely used a medium in this set for size reference!
Thanks for stopping by <3